30 / 5 / 2019
NEW LEXUS RX MAKES WORLD DEBUT
THE PIONEER OF THE LUXURY SUV SEGMENT EVOLVES TO NEW HEIGHTS
- An elegant, dynamic exterior, combined with a highly functional interior
- Enhanced stability and linear steering feel with the RX’s signature ride comfort
- Segment-leading levels of safety provided by the world’s first* BladeScan Type AHS* and the latest Lexus Safety System +
- Connectivity technology adds Apple CarPlay* and Android Auto*, as well as touchscreen and touchpad options
- The world’s bestselling luxury hybrid SUV and all-time best sold Lexus model
- European Premiere to take place on June 30th at Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille
Lexus unveiled the new RX luxury SUV today, revealing evolutionary changes to the brand’s core model, which helped establish the luxury SUV segment when it was first introduced in 1998. Scheduled to go on sale in autumn 2019, the new RX is a testament to Lexus’ ongoing commitment to maintain its status as a pioneer of the luxury SUV segment.
The new RX exterior retains a powerful and sporty appearance, while the character line that runs from the front of the vehicle to the rear has been improved, giving the RX’s overall appearance exceptional flow and consistency. The result is an elegant, dynamic exterior that emphasises Lexus’ new design language.
In terms of the RX’s driving character, it embraces Lexus’ engaging performance following the path of LC and LS flagship coupe and sedan, as the engineers scrutinized every part of the vehicle, and made enhancements to the rigidity of the body and suspension system, as well as adding a new shock absorber and brake control system. The result is a vehicle with an excellent handling feel and precision, allowing users to accurately trace their desired driving lines.
Also, the new RX is equipped with the world’s first BladeScan Type AHS and the latest generation of Lexus Safety System +.
MAIN FEATURES OF THE NEW RX
AN ELEGANT, DYNAMIC EXTERIOR, COMBINED WITH A HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL INTERIOR
- Newly sculpted front and rear bumper designs achieve a flowing integration of character lines from front to rear, elevating the RX’s dynamic appearance.
- Connecting the rocker panels to the bottom of the grille in a straight line delivers a feeling of heightened strength and stability.
- Designers linked the lower bumper with the rear fenders, which blend with the window graphic on the bottom section of the rear pillar, lending a distinctively elegant and powerful shape to the rear.
- Furthermore, by presenting components such as the muffler and the underbody shield to accentuate the vehicle’s width, the designers were able to provide the RX with a sporty, aggressive rear.
- The signature Lexus spindle grille adds modulation to the ‘L’ pattern mesh and a new frame that blends into the side of the front bumpers providing a unified profile.
- New slender headlamps give the front fascia a newfound sharpness. In the rear, combination lamps feature an “L” shape motif.
- The third-row seats of the RX L now feature two different seating positions. Even more leg space is available with the new setting when the situation demands it.
- The second-row seats of the RX L have been reconfigured to include Captain Seats*, adding 95 mm of legroom for the third row seats and helping to create a spacious and comfortable cabin for RX’s rear-seat occupants.
ENHANCED STABILITY AND LINEAR STEERING FEEL WITH THE RX’S SIGNATURE RIDE COMFORT
One of the changes to the new RX is the enhancements that contribute to driving pleasure resulting from changes to the suspension and increased body rigidity. Lexus Chief Engineer Takeaki Kato was determined to deliver pleasurable driving experience through agile handling and enhanced driving pleasure, and his engineering team worked closely with the production team to achieve this goal.
- Laser Screw Welding (LSW) and spot welding have been extensively employed throughout the vehicle, along with the increased use of high-strength adhesives (4.2 meters of strategically placed adhesive). In combination with the stiffening of stabilizer bars (now hollow and 1 mm wider) and enhanced hub rigidity, the result is a more immediate response to steering inputs.
- The new RX features Active Cornering Assist (ACA) that suppresses understeer when stepping on the throttle in mid-corner, as well as dramatic improvements in the tuning of the EPS, all of which result in a truly linear steering feel, allowing the RX to accurately trace the desired driving line in all types of conditions.
- The redesigned RX’s shock absorbers are now equipped with a new Friction Control Device (FCD)* which further reduces high- frequency vibrations caused by minute road surface imperfections. The shock absorbers also enable the RX to conduct flat cornering and achieve exceptional responsiveness.
SEGMENT-LEADING LEVELS OF SAFETY AND COMFORT PROVIDED BY THE WORLD’S FIRST BLADESCAN TYPE AHS AND THE LATEST LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM+
BladeScan Type AHS
Lexus is a pioneer in automotive lighting technologies, and was the first automaker to equip vehicles with LED headlamps and the Adaptive High beam System (AHS) to enhance safety with oncoming traffic. In the new RX, Lexus once again introduces a world’s first with the BladeScan Type AHS. LED-sourced light shines onto two blade mirrors spinning at high speed, and the light is transferred to a lens to illuminate the road ahead. While the light does not appear to be moving, the BladeScan Type AHS precisely controls light distribution by synchronizing the rotation of the blade mirror and switching the LED headlamps on and off. Because the effect of the high beam can be expanded in a more natural manner, the system illuminates spots that may be difficult to see with conventional high-beam systems, such as the shoulder of the road. It also allows the driver to recognize pedestrians and road signs much earlier, without impeding the visibility of drivers in the vehicle, or drivers traveling in the opposite direction. Pedestrian recognition at night was improved to reach 56 metres of front visibility compared to 32 in the previous system.
Lexus Safety System +
The new RX also comes equipped with the latest version of Lexus Safety System +, featuring advanced safety and accident prevention technologies. Main features of Lexus Safety System + include:
- The Pre-Collision System uses an in-vehicle camera and front-grille-mounted millimetre-wave radar to help spot bicyclists during daytime and pedestrians during low-light conditions.
- By combining Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) with Lane Tracing Assist (LTA), the new RX makes it easier for the driver to stay in the lane. If the system detects a potential lane departure, then LTA alerts the driver with a visual warning and either an audible alert or steering wheel vibration (it may also apply a small steering correction).
- Road Sign Assist (RSA) acquires road sign information using a camera and navigation maps and displays them on the Head-Up Display (HUD) and multi-information display, which reduces possible driver failure to recognize signs, and encourages safe driving.
CONNECTIVITY TECHNOLOGY ADDS APPLE CARPLAY AND ANDROID AUTO, AS WELL AS TOUCHSCREEN AND TOUCHPAD
- The new RX features a new touch-display screen in addition to the Lexus-original remote touch interface
- (which changes from controller-type to trackpad-type)
- Smartphone usage is incorporated into the design ,with a new phone holder and USB port, plus connectivity to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Voice control is enabled via customers’ phones to Apple Siri or Google Assistant. Likewise, drivers can select either Lexus navigation or smartphone versions.